We like to be creative with our smoothies and Acai (ah-sah-ee) Bowls. Come in and tell us about your preferences and we will make every effort to customize a bowl for you. Our smoothie choices include a green “super” smoothie with all the healthy benefits and it tastes fantastic. Where else can you get tropical scenery, excellent coffee and a healthy start to an adventurous day on the beach?
We want to help our customers understand what the Acai berry is and its healthy properties. The berry bears its origin in the Amazon and comes from the acai palm tree, which is known to Brazilians as “The Tree of Life.”
In today’s confusing index of healthy foods, you might be interested to know that the acai berry is neatly placed in the so-called “superfood” category. Here are 5 reasons why health and fitness fiends may want to get acquainted with the acai berry:
- Enhances Athletic Performance: Acai berry has been known to boost energy levels because of the powerful array of antioxidants it contains. The mix of antioxidants are said to promote faster recovery times and increase stamina.
- Boosts Heart Health: In the world of natural healing, acai berries are said to improve circulation and relax blood vessels, all of which are essential in maintaining a healthy heart. This positive impact on the human body arises because of three plant sterols found within the berry, known as B-sitosterol, campesterol and sigmasterol. The combination of these three plant sterols are thought to have a cardioprotective effect on the human body.
- Packed with Protein: Fruit is an unlikely source of protein but this berry may just make the perfect post-workout meal combination. Acai berries contain a generous amount of amino acids, which are the building blocks of protein. The amino acid content found within acai berries is almost the equivalent of an egg, which is enough to assist in muscle building and repairing.
- Contains Anti-Ageing Properties: Acai berries contain a high fatty acid content similar to that of olive oil. It is this potent source of fatty acids that helps to stall the ageing process by making omega-3 fish oils more available to cell membranes. In effect, both essential oils work to make the cell membranes more supple, which means the body’s internal hormones and receptors of insulin work more efficiently to reduce inflammation, which in turn reduces signs of ageing.
- Advances Weight Loss: While the jury is still out on this one, some health experts believe that consuming acai berries may help promote weight loss (but by no stretch of our unrealistic imagination are they an overnight cure). The reason behind this widely publicized feature lies in the berry’s vitamin content. Acai berries are a rich source of vitamins, namely vitamin B and K, which help the body to metabolize.
Diet and Nutrition